+ 374 44 60 40 80
Email for Us
WAYS YOU CAN PAY
Yerevan State Puppet Theatre named after Hovhannes Toumanian
Yerevan State Puppet Theater named after Hovhannes Toumanian was founded on June 1, 1935, operating next to the Yerevan State Youth Theatre. The founders of the theater were director Sofya Bejanyan, painter Gevorg Arakelyan, actors Araksya Arabyan and Pavlos Boroyan. The first performances were "Shunn u katun" and "Charachchi Petiky". In 1950, however, the Puppet Theater closed, reopening in 1957 as an independent theater. Yervand Manaryan was appointed chief director, and Flora Grigoryan was appointed painter. The cast was expanded: Petros Martirosyan, Albert Ghondyan, Ruzanna Vardanyan, Hasmik Naghashyan, Astghik Gorgyan, Anahit Sahakyan and others. Manya Aslanyan was the director of the theater in 1961-1978performing "Karmir Glxark", "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer", "Golden Key", "Ole-Lucoye", "Garnik akhper" and many other performances.
In 1975, the theater moved to the current building at 4 Sayat-Nova Street. New opportunities arise to create on the new stage. Arshak Poghosyan, Nune Vardanyan, Ara Hakobyan, Petros Khachikyan, Mnatsakan Piloyan, Gagik Rostomyan started working in the theatre. 1976 Manya Aslanyan performed the first performance for an adult audience on the theme of "Wonderful Galatea" Greek mythology. This is followed by Exupery's "Poqrik Ishxan". In 1978-85 Yervand Manaryan was appointed the director of the theater, in 1985 Andranik Gamjyan, followed by Ruben Marukhyan, then Mnatsakan Piloyan. Ruben Babayan has been the theater's artistic director since 1998. Among his plays are "The Third", "The Happiness of an Armenian", "Qef anoghin qef chi paksil".
Today, the theater continues its lively creative life, hosting children and adults. There is a museum of puppet art named after Pavlos Boroyan, where about 200 exhibits are presented.