Location: Aragatsotn region
Distance from Yerevan: 34km – 35m
Establishment: 13th century
The monastery complex Saghmosavank is located on the right bank of the Kasakh River, in the village of Saghmosavan. According to tradition, Saghmosavank was founded by Grigor Lusavorich (Grigory the Illuminator). The St. Sion Church was built by Prince Vache Vachutian in 1215. It is a cross-shaped inside and rectangular outside church with a high cylinder-shaped drum and a conical dome. The facades of the church are decorated with “Armenian hollows”. In 1215-35 Vache Vachutian built a four-columned porch adjacent to the west of the St. Sion church, the central part of the ceiling of which has a 12-faceted stone shelter. To the north of the monastery is a cemetery with khachkars from the 13th and 14th centuries. In 1250 a school was founded in Saghmosavank. The monastery was damaged by a devastating earthquake in 1988, but due to reconstruction, it has since 2000 been standing with its exquisite luxury and mystery. The monastery and the library are a wonderful example of the Armenian architecture of the 13th century. For many years many manuscripts were written, copied and illustrated here, some of which have survived to the present day.