Location: Artsakh, Martakert region
Distance from Yerevan: 348 km – 4 h 50 min
Establishment: 13th century
Gandzasar monastery is one of the wonders of Artsakh. Situated inthe Great Arank region of the state of Artsakh, on w promontory high above the west bank of the Khachen river, it overlooks the scenic village of Vank in the Martakert district. The monastery was built on the site of an ancient church, as evidenced by khachkars centuies older than the monastic complex.
Gandzasar is first mentioned in mid-tenth century writings of Anania Mokatsi. On this site, Prince Hasan Jalal Dola of Lower Khachen began the construction of the great cathedral of Gandzasar. The church was completed in 1238.
The 13th – century armenian jurist and fable writer Mkhitar Gosh writes that from the day of its founding Gandzasar served as the eriscopal see and the site of royal cemetry of the Kchachen princely family, The monastery’s activities were financed by the Hasan – Jalalyan family. The monastery contained a scriptorium and monuscript repository, where many renowned clergy and religious scholars were educated. There are nearly 200 inscriptions on the walls of the Gandzasar Monastery, a chronichle in stone.
The monastery contained a scriptorium and monuscript repository, where many renowned clergy and religious scholars were educated. Gandzasar Monastery has been widely recognized as a high point in Armenian architecture. Charles Dilly, a professor at the Sorbonne in Paris, mentioned Gandzasar as one of the works of armenian church architecture among the wonders of the world.